Wandering around Toronto with your children in the summer is so much fun. Every neighbourhood has its own unique characteristics and every weekend is a different festival (or 3). You do NOT need to spend a lot of money to entertain your children.
Toronto Museum and Arts Pass Program:
The program I am talking about is called the Sun Life Financial Museum+ Arts Pass Program (MAP). It’s a wonderful program that makes arts and culture available to everyone.
Here’s how it works:
- You walk to your local library with your magical library card in hand.
- You approach the person at the check-out desk and you choose what you would like passes to from the following list (NOTE: all passes are good for 2 adults and up to 5 children):
- AGO – Art Gallery of Ontario
- Bata Shoe Museum
- Black Creek Pioneer Village
- Casa Loma
- City of Toronto Historic Museums:
- Colborne Lodge in High Park
- Fort York National Historic Site
- Gibson House Museum
- Mackenzie House
- Montgomery’s Inn
- Scarborough Museum
- Spadina Museum: Historic House & Gardens
- Todmorden Mills Heritage Site
- Gardiner Ceramics Museum
- Museum of Inuit Art
- Ontario Science Centre
- ROM – Royal Ontario Museum
- Textile Museum of Canada
- Toronto Zoo
Does this sound too good to be true?
This is the real deal. In addition to the process I have described above, however, there are some things to keep in mind:
- New passes are released each Saturday morning. You’ll need to arrive before the library opens to ensure you have a good chance of getting some of the more popular passes (i.e. ROM, Science Centre, Toronto Zoo).
- Passes run out quickly. Each library may only have 1 – 5 passes for each museum/location.
- Not all passes are available at all library locations (see here for details).
- You can choose a maximum of 1 pass per week.
- You are required to wait 3 months before choosing the same pass twice.
If you like the zoo, the science centre, museums, and arts in Toronto (and you’re a cheapskate like me), get out your google calendar and schedule yourself a Saturday morning trip to your local library. Take advantage of the Toronto Museum and Arts Pass Program. You won’t regret it. It’s magical!